Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's all about ME, a novella


A lot of people consider themselves artists, but I think of myself more as a jill of all trades, master of none!! As far back as I can remember I've been crafting something. I think I'm probably a little (ok a lot) ADD as I lose interest in something over a period of time. I can't even begin to tell you how many unfinished projects I have. Of course anytime I start a new craft, I have to have EVERYTHING involved with that craft in every color, size, shape, etc etc. So needless to say, I have a stash of supplies that have taken over my home. My husband calls different rooms in the house, "craft room 1, craft room 2 and craft room 3", he's so funny haha.

Craft
room 1 is the very large laundry room we had drawn in the plans when we built our home. It was intended to be my stained glass studio, as after years of creating in the garage, in the heat and cold and dodging wasps and dirtdaubers I thought how wonderful to make my panels in the house. We were to have a stained glass front door, my husband decided the design (ok that caused a lack of enthusiam right there) and even after I had gone thru the painstaking part of cutting glass shapes out with a band saw, he made the remark about instead of having a cowboy on a horse chasing a horse, he thought it would be better to have a cowboy on a horse chasing a cow. Phhhfttt well, that project got set aside, due to the lask of enthusiasm of my DH and due to the fact of the solid wood door I had bought in anticipation of my beautiful stained glass door was left in the weather during the construction of our home and it got warped. Bummer!! So as I sit here and type this I'm thinking I should go ahead and finish it as a panel, that would be kinda cool. Unfortunately, the stained glass studio has become a lampwork studio. My stained glass table (which I constructed I might add AND remains in one piece to this day, talk about modern miracles!!!) now holds thousands (yes thousands) of glass rods, a big girl torch, a kiln, and an assortment of presses, pokers, tongs, etc etc. with another kiln on a metal tool cabinet with more glass and pokers etc. every size, color, yes I have a problem but at least I know it.

Moving onto Craftroom 2, now here is where my husband is exaggerating, it's so NOT a craftroom!! It's our study, which houses our computer, where I print my labels for shipping off beads to wonderful people who take pity on my fledgling talent and buy my beads. It's more of a overflow as this is where a lot of the beads that haven't been sold come to live until I get off my duff and sell, give away or put in the aquarium.... oops wait a minute the last fish finally died, so the aquarium idea doesn't work anymore (note:find new spot for orphan beads). Craftroom 2.5 is really another overflow aka my dining room where mostly finished jewelry pieces have been left for one reason or another.

Now Craftroom 3 is upstairs aka Craftcave aka disaster area. This is where my sloppiness really shines!! The skeletons of past crafts are still evident in the form of glues,papers,stamps, books, and yarn another addiction
a felted bag for my daughter
(in progress: 2 sweaters, a shawl and a knitted afghan,... I think that's all). Now besides the lampworking, which I've slowed way down on, is jewelry making. I'm not a big jewelry wearer but I love sparklies, so I now make jewelry with my lampwork beads, silver wire, stamped silver,gemstone beads like turquoise, I guess they're gemstones and then the really sparkly ones like amethyst, apatite, topaz, quartz, a new found addiction which is really not good for my budget.
Ooooh rubies, yummie!!
Well, if you've gotten this far in my ramblings I commend you for your tolerance!!! I'm a non working nurse, I guess that explains it the best, my husband tells me I'm unemployed which grates (and of course that's why he does it!!!) I worked until we started building our home in the boonies. I worked mostly in Neonatal ICU which is the premature and sick babies. Saw a lot of strange and heartbreaking things but also met some wonderful people who got to take home some pretty special babies. Worked with a lot of great people and witnessed miracles and saw things I would have rather not seen.
I now live with my husband, my teenage mutant son,my handicapped daughter, my psychotic inside cat named Molly and my new inside semi psychotic great dane puppy Clancey2(named after Clancey1).I also have three lovely grown daughters who finally outgrew that horrible teenage period to become really terrific people add in the five grandchildren I cursed them with ( you know the one your mother cursed you with, I hope you have a child just like you!!!)So now in addition to my family obligations, and craft addictions, I have to train a 5 month old, 70lb female great dane to NOT stand up at the doors (and windows) on her back legs to go out, "COME" is NOT a suggestion and should be taken more seriously, chewing on the cords under the computer desk, really, isn't a great idea, you can have the loveseat but the couch and my bed are MINE!!!and last but not least, sticking your nose in my mouth at 1 AM is just plain RUDE!!!
thanks for all the help training the pup dear!!

No comments: