Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A new decade

It appears I can't keep up with a blog anymore than I could keep up with a diary when I was younger. This is the year I hope to get more organized and get more of my jewelry and beads up on the internet. We shall see.
The last part of last year had a lot of ups and downs. My mother may need surgery and she's hesitant to have it. She's afraid it'll be something she can't recover from, meaning she'd never get back all her strength. She had a two day stay in the hospital which was horrible. We thought my son might have to have surgery on his shoulder which would have halted any possibility of him playing baseball in college. After many weeks of physical therapy, the doctor gave him the go ahead to continue with his pitching. We had to put down our horse and one of our dogs. Those were not good times. We've had horses for a long time and it's kind of sad not having one now. They are such beautiful creatures and even if we didn't ride them often, they were fed twice a day so there was a lot of interaction and I really miss that. Our dog we had to put down was a stray that showed up at our house the first week we were here. One thing about living in the country, people drop off their strays and if they're lucky they show up at our house! She walked up our driveway the first week we were here like she belonged and was with us for eight years. I used to tell my husband she was our "welcome to the neighborhood" along with our shotgun blasted mailbox!!!
The year ended with a White Christmas. Something I've never had before. Even living in Ohio for four years when I was growing up, it was never snowy on Christmas. How crazy is that, a white Christmas in Texas and not in New York!!! We probably got about eight inches which is more than I've ever seen here. It was so pretty and stuck around for a long time. It was still on the ground the next week when we had another snow!! Snow on top of snow in Texas??? Wow!!!
Now we've entered into 2010. I've already had another birthday and found out I was one year older than I thought. I got a Wii for Christmas and I exercise every morning. I'm bound and determined to lose weight and get fit this year. I've really let myself go. Imagine my surprise when the Wii wished me happy birthday and it was a year older than I thought. I did the math and dang Wii was right. That was depressing!!! lol Oh well I don't feel that old.
On the glass front, I'm trying out boro glass. It's a harder glass to work with, not really more difficult, but harder, it takes a much hotter flame to melt the glass. It moves around like a thick syrup and I'm really having a little trouble adapting to it. I have the hardest time getting the right shape, not to mention getting the colors to strike. Oh my gosh, what gorgeous colors they have and I have so much trouble getting them to come out. It's just one of those practice things.
On the home front, this is the year my baby will be leaving home. My son turned 18 in December and he'll be going away to college this year. He really has such a busy schedule now we don't see him much, with school and practice and games and such. But knowing that he's really gone is going to be tough. We'll still have our daughter at home, as she'll always be with us, but it'll be hard sending my six foot one baby out into the world.

No comments: